Why do I have to pay taxes?

Modified on Sun, 27 Feb 2022 at 10:20 PM

In the case of short-term employment, the income earned is taxable - even if you earned less than €450 in one month, for example. The taxes are calculated by the tax office, including your specified tax class. The number of days you work, the hours worked and the respective hourly wage are also taken into account - so the tax rate can vary slightly from month to month. If you work for us in tax class 6 (e.g. because we are only your part-time employer), the taxes will be slightly higher than, for example, in tax class 1.


The exact amount of income tax you have to pay can therefore be determined in various ways by the tax office.

  • measured by the individual wage tax deduction characteristics (i.e. depending on your tax class)

  • or a flat-rate calculation of 25 percent of your income (church tax and solidarity surcharge are not included here), which is implemented under certain conditions


You can get back the income tax you paid by filing a tax declaration the following year. This applies if your annual income, minus the employee lump sum and the pension lump sum, is below the basic tax-free allowance. This is set at 9.984 Euros in 2022, for example.

(Source: https://www.studentenwerke.de/de/content/geringf%C3%BCgig-entlohnte-und-kurzfristige-besch%C3%A4ftigungen Here you can find further information on this topic.) 

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article